UK based plus size fashion blogger AmandaApparel answers questions from readers in this question and answer session. Let's get to know each other!
How did you end up moving to the UK?
I visited Edinburgh many summers in my late teens/early twenties performing with a band in the Fringe Festival! I absolutely fell in LOVE with the city. I knew from an early age that I wanted to live in the UK, ever since my first choir trip to London. In 2012 I officially moved to Edinburgh to do volunteer work with a small local church, and since 2014 I've been studying events management at Queen Margaret University.
How did you meet your husband?
Isn't he the cutest?! Scott and I met the new old fashioned way, online! It's pretty similar to meeting IRL, isn't it? You start talking because you have something in common, you start flirting, and we just get on so well! He makes my life a much happier place, and I'm so #blessed every single day to have him in my life.
If you could have 3 dinner guests, dead or alive, who would they be?
1. Sylvia Plath (sadly, of course, deceased): She's my all time favourite author, and I'd love to get to meet her and chat about personal experience, especially mental health.
2. Lana Del Rey: I just want to gab about boys and fashion and maybe sing a duet or two
3. Velvet d'Amour: Since she walked for John Paul Gautier, I've been OBSESSED with her work both as a model and as a photographer. I think she's stunning and I'd love to get some insight on the plus size model industry.
Where is your favourite place to shop?
Well, most of my money is probably spent at Boots! It feels like I'm in there every couple days for something or another! It's hard to have a favourite place to shop for clothes as a plus size woman because options are soooooo limited. I probably prefer New Look's Inspire range because it's carried in a couple locations near me. Trying on clothes before buying is definitely ideal!
Fall Out Boy or Kanye West?
Pffffft, as if you need to ask! Am I more than you bargained for yet? Hahah!
What is your favourite outfit?
My two favourite looks right now are this Winter Walks ensemble and Autumn Layers outfit.
"What foundation do you use cuz yo skin is beautiful?"
You can read all about it here in my makeup post about covering my eczema!
What 3 things would in your makeup bag can you not live without?
1. Jeffree Star velour liquid lipstick in Redrum
2. Sleek makeup brow kit in Light
3. Palladio rice powder in Translucent
What are your favourite movies?
In no particular order: Empire Records, Clueless, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Who is your fashion inspiration?
One of my biggest inspirations is the always stunning Katana Fatale. I'm SO excited to see that she's getting more modeling opportunities and can never wait to see what she'll wear next! Two of my other inspirations are fellow plus size blogger babes Lottie L'amour, and Georgina Horne.
What are your 5 favourite independent shops in the UK?
I'm gonna try to get some variety up in here, so it won't just be retail shops. Here we go!
1. Centuy General Store: This was my favourite shop in my old neighbourhood. They have everything from Kinfolk Magazine, to amazing coffee beans, to succulents for you home. I just adore them.
2. Fortitude Coffee: Speaking of coffee, my favourite local coffee shop is Fortitude. It is just SO good, and their food isn't half bad either!
3. Diedododa: It's a mouthfull to say, but they sell the CUTEST home goods! I bought a candle for a friend, and I just love everything in the shop!
4. Den of Iniquity: This is my go-to tattoo shop in Edinburgh. 2/3 of my tattoos were done here, and I doubt I'll be going to any other tattoo studios from now on, tbh. Jen is SUCH a talented artist! I would happily have her cover me in art.
5. Hoot The Redeemer: This bar is just, SO good! It's got traditional dive vibes, but has an American twist. There's something about it that keeps me coming back for more!
Link or square sausage?
GASP! SQUARE! Is there any other way?! The husband and I actually had Lorne sausage rolls for breakfast, haha!
I've really enjoyed answering your questions! If you think of any more, ask them in the comments below! Maybe we'll make this whole Q&A thing a regular column!
More personal posts here!
Previous personal post: Love Thy Bust**